About 7 years ago, I lived on the coast of Oregon for two years right after my husband and I got married. It was a rough transition for a few reasons, which I won’t go into. However, I started to notice increased fatigue, which was really common anyway. This was the first time I was really on my own (well not completely since my husband was with me) away from family with my own insurance and responsibilities. Finally, I decided to go into the doctor and have a check-up to make sure everything was okay. Guess what, my vitamin D levels were SO low! The normal low range was 32 and mine was a 14!! (Get your vitamin D levels checked! Low levels can cause increased risk for cancer, cardiovascular disease, asthma, depression, high blood pressure, and dementia). So I got put on a high dose of vitamin D for a few weeks and had my levels rechecked and they were close to the low range of normal. Now, I know a lot of people who don’t take supplements and I understand. They try to get what they need from food. Not only is this almost impossible, it’s dangerous, especially for our fat soluable and heat sensitive nutrients. Let me explain, unless we are living somewhere that is constantly sunny, and we are outside working on our rotating garden are not going to get what we need from food.
Why I believe everyone should be taking high quality supplements:
1. Soil is depleted of nutrients and crops are malrotated.
2. Food is picked too soon because when it travels over 1500 miles to get to us, it needs to look appealing and not rotten for us to buy it, right?
3. Whenever we cook our food, we decrease the nutrient content, digestive enzymes and so forth.
4. The majority of our population is eating way too much sugar, alcohol and stressed, which doesn’t allow for us to absorb the nutrients from our depleted food.
5. The majority of our diet is processed and not really food (processed or packaged with ingredients that are not food- read the ingredients list. If you can’t pronounce words, this is not food and if you don’t know what it is, neither will your body, which means it won’t know what to do with it.)
These are just some reasons I make sure my family and I get the BEST supplements with the BEST quality of absorption. When you’re not getting the proper amounts of vital nutrients, your body will begin to tell you signs that something isn’t right (fatigue, depression, increased infections, and decreased immune system, which can lead to more serious problems, and more) and if you don’t listen it will only get worse.
If you’re local and want to learn more, there’s a meeting about these every other Saturday at Alex Johnson’s meeting room 523 6th Street Rapid City, SD 57701. Next meeting is this Saturday, March 17 at 1:30-2:30. If, you’re not local, just let me know and I can send you some info too or you can check out more info here!